Food has always been a passion of mine. Please join me as I hit spots around the world in search of great meals.

Wednesday, December 22, 2004

Saigon Grill

It’s been a while since I’ve written in my food blog and for that I’m very sorry. There is so much to write and I don’t have my note pad so I will freestyle as always.

Saigon Grill:

I started going to Saigon Grill again! It was some years ago that Beto “San Antonio” Puentes turned me on to this place. At the time they were located on Broadway and 84th or somewhere around there. Since then they have moved into bigger digs up on Amsterdam and 91st St. In any case, this place use to be a small little place on Broadway and now it’s this huge place with nice interior. I kind of miss the old hole in the wall, but I’m happy that you don’t have to wait an hour to grab some good grub. Looking back, I suppose I find it odd that Beto turned me on to this place. I suppose I never have taken note (until writing this) that Beto has a diverse palate. He eats a lot of different styles of food. But now the poor kid is regulated to the cafeteria at work. Hey, I didn’t make him the investment banker. In any case, I really liked the place back in the day and it had been some time since I had visited…I think two years or so…thus, I decided to pay a visit.

The service at this place isn’t the worst and it isn’t the best. The one thing I can say is when the owner is at the front door to greet you it’s a good sign. I notice that about Asian restaurants compared to other places. I suppose it might be an Asian culture thing or something, but often you can find the owner at the door. It’s almost like him saying, come on into my home to eat my food. I like the welcoming mat that is laid out here. The bus boys are a bit stretched so you don’t always get water right away…but the service is fair.

The prices have stayed low for the most part, but they have gone up since they were on Broadway. But a good meal for some 30 dollars for two isn’t bad.

I have kind of killed this place and have gone about three times in the last two weeks, but I was doing it in the name of my blog. Twice I went with Beto and that was cool because we got to talk about old times and just how much things have changed for both of us over the years and it reminded me of how crazy we were and how we had taken our friendship at times for granted, I would like to think that these meals made us realize the importance of our friendship. I suppose food can do that from time to time.

On another note, I went there with a friend who just got off of work from a commercial. Note to self: Friends who work long days with movie stars should have some time to unwind (don’t make a point to meet them after work) and make sure and ask them where they want to eat when they have had a long day. Don’t push anything on them…my bad. Yet, the conversation was nice and easy.

I suppose the one plate really worth eating there is the Barbeque Beef. This stuff is really super good and when you put their house hot paste on the meat….good stuff. I would also suggest the chicken curry soup in a little bowl. Perfect for an appetizer and only like $3.50 which is really a steal for the amount they give you. But that Beef is just da’ bomb, kid. Serious, it’s one of those foods that you can probably eat all day and not get tired of it. Oh, I don’t have my notes with me of when I went solo, but the Beef is the first one on the list of Beef dishes.

In closing, I hope all is well and may all your meals be enjoyable.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home